The CORA Offshore Challenge was initiated in 2006 to allow CORA sailors to demonstrate their expertise in offshore ocean racing. The series consists of seven long distance offshore races for 2018, including three overnight races. Competitors must participate in at least one overnight race to qualify for overall Offshore Challenge Series trophies.
The 2018 Offshore Challenge Series is sponsored by QUANTUM SAILS/Sailing Inc of Charleston.
Series Cumulative Results through 10/10/18 can be found HERE
Notice of Race can be found HERE
2018 Offshore Challenge races include:
- Spring and Fall Ocean races starting in the Charleston Harbor, out into the ocean and return (15-41 NM course depending on conditions)
- Overnight race from Charleston Harbor to Hilton Head (Indigo Cup)
- Two, 2-day races from Charleston Harbor to Rockville (Day 1) and return race next day (Sherriff's and Alice Cups)
- Overnight race from Charleston Harbor to Savannah, GA
- Gulfstreamer Race from Daytona, Florida to Charleston, SC. This race is conducted jointly by the Charleston Yacht Club and the Halifax River Yacht Club.
Bravo class (spinnaker PHRF above 132) can participate in "Sprint" races in leiu of the overnight races. These races will start with the other fleets and sail one of the ocean courses finishing back at the start line. This will allow participating Bravo fleet boats to qualify for the Challenge Series.